Monday, September 27, 2010

Weird Little Things During Week 6

I want gum -- and a Coke.  And what the f--k is with the dreams about food?

This doesn't seem too deep, this topic. I'm sure that cravings and intensely vivid dreams about food are "normal" at this point in the process.  It's just a little perplexing to me that it's all happening at once!

Before I was even totally committed to the idea of getting a gastric bypass, one of the dietician made a suggestion to the group about breaking bad food habits and planning ahead.  She suggested that we use the time we had (at that I was into the program for about 2 months, but secretly wasn't completely committed to the actual surgery) to begin looking at habits like gum chewing, drinking carbonated beverages, or drinking highly caloric drinks in the form of Coke or juices.  For those of us who had virtually months to go, this didn't seem too difficult, even though  I was a gum chewer and a carbonated, high-calorie drink consumer.

Happily, luck was with me.  I was able to quit drinking Coke, juices and even carbonated items by the time I was ready for surgery.  But now, suddenly, I am faced with cravings for things I thought I'd put behind me.  None of these things are something I can enjoy again -- it's not really safe to drink carbonation, or chew gum (especially since I am a gum swallower) after surgery.  I guess these issues may continue to follow me as I accept my new lifestyle.  The learning process for this is not a straight line, clearly, but something that will take time to wholly become a part of me.  More to come on this topic I imagine....

Weight Loss Update:  I am down a total of 50.4 pounds since my Bariatric Surgeon put me on the liquid diet and initiated the requirement of a 30 pound weight loss as mandatory before I could have surgery.  I lost 27 pounds at the time we scheduled my GB surgery.

Cyst Update:  I am scheduled for another big surgery again on October 6th for the removal of my ovarian cyst.  More on this later....

No comments:

Post a Comment