Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My Progress So Far...

So it's been almost 7 weeks since my gastric bypass.  Lots of really exciting things have happened already as a result of my surgery (aside from the issues related to my cyst), and it seems appropriate to celebrate these accomplishments.  


The initial list of medical problems that I suffered from that lead me to the Weight Management Institute was frightening.  But look!  Some improvements are already evident, and this is only the beginning.
  • High blood pressure:
    • I still suffer from high blood pressure, but "my numbers" seem to be improving!
  • Chronic pain from osteoarthritis in my knees, ankles and low back: 
    • Dramatic Improvement in all areas have been noted!
  • Non-insulin dependent diabetes:
    •  ✔My blood sugar is consistently excellent, and I am no longer on medication for my diabetes!
  • Chronic heartburn from GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disease):
    • My heartburn and GERD are cured!  No more heartburn pain or need for medication since the surgery!   
  • Severe sleep apnea requiring the use of a C-PAP machine at night:
    • I continue to need the CPAP at this time, however as I continue to lose weight my doctor's suggest that this will likely change.
  • Impaired mobility -  I was having difficulty getting around without a cane:
    • I am much more comfortable walking, and already I can get around most of the time without a cane except for longer distances.
  • Periodic venous stasis wounds on my legs requiring daily wound treatment and aggressive compression treatment ranging from compression hose to the use of a lymphedema pump.  
    • No wounds since the surgery.  Minimal episodes of swelling in my lower legs, though I do wear a less unpleasant form of compression most of the time. 
All in all this is pretty exciting news.  Today when I saw my dietician for my routine visit,  we did a body composition test showing that while I am losing both muscle and fat (which is to be expected), even with minimal exercise I'm losing a solid amount of fat.  My ultimate goal is to lose 3 pounds of fat for every 1 pound of muscle.  Today I am at 1.75 pounds of fat for every 1 pound of muscle.  This gives me a goal to work toward.


Other positive information from the session with the dietician: I can eat most things now as long as I am cautious about the food textures (apple skins, stringy veggies, dry or overcooked meats, etc.).  Of course I am eating really small amounts of food, still.  I am supplementing my diet with the same protein powder I used for the months before my surgery when I was on the "partial liquid diet".


I have lost 50.7 pounds since I started the "partial liquid diet" on 6/4/10.  I broke the 300# mark on 9/27/10.  Follow along for continued progress, and please join me in celebrating these exciting improvements in my weight loss efforts.  I admittedly have a long way to go -- but it all seems possible to me now when I consider the progress I've made so far.  


For those of you in my "fan club" who have been supporting my efforts - thank you so much!

1 comment:

  1. This is such great news! I love all the good things that are happening. GO LYNN!! xoxo

    Love you muchly,

    JEOL

    ReplyDelete