Thursday, July 8, 2010

Reflections on a Difficult Time - Going off on Medical Leave

In January 2010 I went out on a medical leave.  I had the support of my doctors, my family, and even my employer.  I did have the small matter of some excessive absenteeism due my illnesses, and unfortunately this put me in a position without any guarantee that my position would be available if/when I came back.  It didn't matter because I was just too sick to keep working at that time.  My weight loss was one factor, and of course there was the matter of my fibromyalgia.


Making this change was incredibly traumatic.  I missed my sense of purpose, my work, seeing my work partners and friends every day; and despite having some short term disability coverage, a full paycheck was  also sorely missed.  I found a great deal of support and comfort in working weekly with a psychologist (thanks, GW!), as well as important time to talk about some issues related to my weight.   I continue to prepare for an eventual surgery date, filled with anticipation, trepidation, excitement, fear and hope.


Happily, my fibromyalgia is slowly improving.  I'm bothered most by incredible fatigue from time to time when I have a flare.  This does interfere with my ability to exercise consistently, but I'm making every effort to get some exercise in daily.  I feel very lucky as I recuperate, to have the opportunity to focus on my upcoming WLS (GP- RNY, I expect) to make some long needed changes in my health and welfare.


I've been on a partial liquid diet using HMR high protein powder, lots of veggies, some yummy yogurt and some great high protein Lean Cuisines for 5 weeks now.  Tomorrow I get to discuss the possibility of choosing a surgery date with my doc, the nurse practitioner and perhaps other members of my team.


My fingers are crossed...

No comments:

Post a Comment