Monday, July 26, 2010

Fortune Cookie Therapy from "The Bowl"

From The Bowl: 
  • Off with the old and On with the New
  • Flip side: Roll with the punches
I think I've mentioned that I see a therapist - a psychologist who I began to see in the hopes that my disability issues would become clearer.  As time went on, she began to assist me with some of the emotional, and psychological issues around my weight and my pending surgery.  At the core of it all was me beginning both to take responsibility for where I am today, and the ability to forgive myself and move on.  I suppose that as time goes on and these issues begin to make more sense and to look clearer to me, we'll revisit them.  In any case, GW has been very, very helpful to me.


One day, several months ago in my therapy, I noticed something that really caught my eye.  A bowl.  In this bowl were perhaps 100 little card stock weight papers slips in a pale yellow with phrases on them.  As I picked on up I was delighted to discover on these little 3" x ½" slips that there were two phrases, one on each side!  The phrases were sometimes credited if the author was known, but other times were not.  All had a deep therapeutic concept in them, though not always for me, I frequently recognized a thread of something worthwhile in each slip.  They were there to act as a little therapeutic fortune cookie - cosmic, randomly chosen inspiration from Dr. W's bowl to those who might partake of this form of fun "therapy."


You may have noticed that the name of this blog is “Off with the Old: My Gastric Bypass & the Lessons I've Learned From the Process”.  It's no accident that I came up with the initial part of the phrase, and also found a slip in The Bowl that said, “Off with the old and On with the New”.  I shared this with Dr. W in my last session with her, and I could tell that she was pleased that her bowl of inspiration had come to use in my therapy.  Truth be told, every slip offers me something for the day, and for that reason alone I will share them with you, faithful readers.  Sometimes I'll even try to tie into the posting a piece of the randomly chosen inspiration from The Bowl.

2 comments:

  1. I am very calmly and positively excited for you! I dig reading your blog !

    love,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,
    Thanks for your positive (and calm) support! I really need it, and love that you are there in the blogosphere (and in my heart) cheering me on. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

    love,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete